Thursday, July 25, 2013

Scratches

Being in our new home has made me very aware of scratches.  We have a very large wood floor and lots of wooden doors, new furniture.... So much that I think some of our children worry about coming here in fear that something might happen while here.  After a family gathering last night to celebrate the 24th of July, a Utah state holiday, I was cleaning up the kitchen and fixing breakfast for Kerry and myself I looked across the room and discovered a significant set of scratches in the wood.  Not on the new wood but on a table that we have had for about 18 years. After cleaning up the kitchen and getting my dishwasher going I decided to work on those scratches to see if I could hide them a little. I pulled out my wood oil polish and gently set about to smooth out the wood a little and make it look better.  As I worked to smooth out the new scratches I couldn't help but think about some of the scriptures that I have been studying lately, about the Savior and how he sacrificed all for me (us), how he smoothed out everything for me,  When I finished the scratches are still there but they look better than before I started.  At a certain angle they are still noticeable but to the eye who hadn't seen them it might not even be seen.  Again I thought of these scriptures, scars from sin remain but they also heal with repentance and with a soothing polish, the Saviors love for us, they hardly are visible.  I am so grateful for these times of reflection in my life. 
My dad used to love to garden I remember from a very young age that he would spend hours working to till the earth and grow wonderful gardens with beautiful crops.  As I have gotten older I have learned to love to work in the yard and create a garden, I love the time to think and that is when I seem most inspired.  I need to turn the world off more than I do and seek for these reflective moments!

No comments:

Our Family