Friday, May 18, 2012

I"m So Excited......(May 18, 2012) The Inner Geek Comes Out!

   Recently there have been several things that have reminded me of the good ole' days.  Last summer for my birthday Rosemarie took me to see Donny and Marie live in Las Vegas as well as Celine Dion.  It was great fun to see Donny and Marie especially as close as we were sitting. (Celine was fabulous as well!) This family is such a great group of entertainers  Then when we were at the WCC Basketball championships in Vegas "The Brothers" were playing at the same venue can I tell you how badly I wanted to sneak away and buy a ticket to see them!!!!  Most recently KUTV did a piece about them on the late news and that officially took me over the edge.  I looked up current info on the brothers only to discover they are doing their "farewell" tour, they have been to England and sang to sold out audiences.  Wayne had suffered a stroke and like Alan can no longer tour, this made me so sad.  Of course they are doing a show here in Utah and I won't be able to go because of family  plans.... :(
However, I discovered on Amazon they had the old albums on double CD's so I ordered two.

                                                      THEY CAME TODAY!

So the inner geek really came out.  It's been raining outside and this brightened my day.  I immediately played the live concert and relived a very fun memory, I even brought out the dance moves with it.  It's a good thing they came while I was alone so I didn't embarrass any of my girls. 
It's funny I went to this concert with my Mom, my brother Les, and some good friends of mine.  Just like in the live recording I remember screaming my heart out.  Since I saw the news story I thought about all of the silly things I as a fan used to do, like my room plastered from floor to ceiling with various Osmond pictures (which I still have), and listening to the music, far louder than my mom appreciated, over and over and over.  I have also realized that at this time in my life The Osmonds were in a way life savers for me.  The early seventies were tough, I could have easily gotten into drugs and other things because it was so easily available.  Fortunately I had a great example in my family of the gospel and the temptation wasn't really strong but .... About the time I was introduced to people who offered things to me The Osmonds came on the scene,  if they could be so popular and live up to the standards so could I......  Just after we went to this concert my friends changed and I was being ridiculed by quite a few in my Jr. High for being LDS and became the brunt of many jokes, I was given a nickname that I still cringe when I think of it, but I still had my Osmonds and a year later our ward was divided and best best friend Donna came into the picture.  This new group of friends in the ward grew very close and we did everything together for quite awhile.  We kind of lost contact when we all went to different High Schools in the area and sadly Donna passed away two days after Kerry and I married, she was supposed to be my Maid of Honor at our Reception in Arvada, she died that morning.  Never the less the Osmonds played a great role in my young life and I still love the music. 
I had the opportunity to meet Jay and saw him on campus several times but didn't make a big deal of it.  Even with a roommate who came to Provo soley to meet them.  I recently saw Merril in a local store and really wanted to talk to him but decided against it they need their privacy too!  I keep hearing all of these people who see Donny at various places and I just don't.  If I could meet them I would thank them for being a part of my life.
REVENGE IS SWEET
If you can call it revenge  I can now tease my girls about their favorites as well.  Years later Cydney was so in love with NSYNC that she plastered her walls and ceilings as well.  It was actually quite fun and my own mom reminded me that I couldn't balk at the thought of her taping pictures to her walls and ceilings.  Two concerts stick out in my mind the one in which my mom attended with me to see the Osmonds and our entire family going to see NSYNC, two generations of screaming girls, great memories.
So today the inner geek is out in full force and I am loving it!

1 comment:

Kerry said...

I still love you!

Our Family