Friday, December 12, 2008

What Is Christmas?



Last night I went visiting teaching with my companion for the month of December and we were just visiting when one of them shared a thought with us. She had heard a devotional that had stuck in her mind and the is what she told us...

There are those who are excited for Christmas each year and of course Santa is a large part of that feeling. Those who can't wait to buy the gifts and see them opened and are all involved in the decorating and so forth. When the gifts are gone then so is Christmas until next year.

There are those who focus on the "Baby Jesus" and try to bring that spirit and message into their lives more but as with those mentioned earlier it ends with Christmas and isn't talked about much more than that.

Then there are those who not only celebrate the birth of Jesus Christ but his life, sacrifice and atonement as well. They are the ones that who feel the spirit at Christmas time but throughout the year as well.

I thought about that for quite awhile when I got home and it made me realize that while all of the decorating and presents and everything is fun and in a large part a tradition the most important part of Christmas really that very special gift we have all been given. Something that is ours always not just at Christmas time. I want to try harder to reflect that in this coming year. I am grateful for my Savior Jesus Christ, his birth, his life, his death and atonement, his sacrifice for all of us. What a beautiful gift!

Merry Christmas

2 comments:

Kerry said...

In preparing my HP lessons the past couple of months, that thought has been borne more strongly than ever to me. We are now at the point in Jesus the Christ where today's lesson is on the Last Supper, Betrayal, Trial, Crucifiction, and Burial of the Savior.

This study has made this Christmas season all the more meaningful for me this year. We celebrate His birth, but it is really the gift of His life, and more importantly His sacrifice for us all that makes Christmas meaningful.

Wendy Evans said...

Amazing, wonderful Lauri... Thanks for sharing that with us. I too want to reflect upon that everyday and not just for the season. I am trying and will continue to keep my heart on what an AMAZING SELFLESS GIFT that was given to each of us. I too LOVE my Savior Jesus Christ.

P.S. I saw you too at church we just didn't connect... sorry busy with the boys! You looked soooo cute! I will try to catch you on Sunday.

Our Family