Wednesday, December 17, 2008

"Tradition-Tradition"

Christmas time is family time! We got together with some of Kerry's family for lunch the day that he returned from Honolulu. It was good to be with them for awhile and wish that Joel and his family could have been with us too! I forgot to take pictures while everyone was here, where was my camera. But I managed to snap a couple as the boys were watching Polar Express with a couple of their favorite aunts (they have quite a few favorite aunts). The aunts just love the snuggle time!



One of our "Traditions" is to go to Temple Square every few years. We tried to find a night that we could all go but with every one's busy schedules we decided that we would have to make a couple of trips. The first trip was with Rachel and Cameron. As usual the lights were beautiful and it is one of my favorite things to do, but it was sooooooo cold. We went to The Lion House Pantry for dinner first and then went to see the lights. Mmmm you gotta love those Lion House Rolls. After dinner we decided to brave the cold and made stops inside the Tabernacle, The Assembly Hall and The North Visitors Center to get a little warmer. We took a few pictures along the way. It was fun to spend time with them. Before we took Trax back to our car we went across the street and got a cup of Hot Chocolate to warm us up one more time.

This nice gentleman took this picture so that we could all be together in one.






With all of the talk of Traditions over the last few months it has become kind of bittersweet for me. I love them all but to see some of them starting to fade or change has made me very emotional the last few weeks. Just yesterday I heard one daughter say, "It's bound to happen sooner or later mom." And I know that, it just seemed to happen to fast and it certainly doesn't make it any easier! A song from Fiddler on the Roof started spinning through my head and some of my girls would laugh but the Tradition song makes me happy. As I started singing that another stuck in my brain that is very tender right now.
Sunrise Sunset
(Tevye)Is this the little girl I carried?
Is this the little boy at play?
(Golde)I don't remember growing older
When did they?
(Tevye)When did she get to be a beauty?
When did he grow to be so tall?
(Golde)Wasn't it yesterday
When they were small?
(Men)Sunrise, sunset
Sunrise, sunset
Swiftly flow the days
Seedlings turn overnight to sunflowers
Blossoming even as we gaze
(Women)Sunrise, sunset
Sunrise, sunset
Swiftly fly the years
One season following another
Laden with happiness and tears
(Tevye)What words of wisdom can I give them?
How can I help to ease their way?
(Golde)Now they must learn from one another
Day by day
(Perchik)They look so natural together
(Hodel)Just like two newlyweds should be
(Perchik & Hodel)Is there a canopy in store for me?
(All)Sunrise, sunset
Sunrise, sunset
Swiftly fly the years
One season following another
Laden with happiness and tears

As I have read and reread the words to this song I thought of my dad who really love this movie in the 70's. He wasn't one who saw many movies nor did he see many over but this was one of his favorites. He would have this look in his eye when this song played and now I understand that look very well. To all who may read this, take advantage of the time together, enjoy the Sunrise because the Sunset comes to quickly.

5 comments:

Rebecca said...

what in the world am i doing in that picture? i dont understand. and i love our traditions!

Cydney Jensen said...

mommy! Stop making me cry! I love our traditions too! I have to say though, when I think of fiddler on the roof and the traditions song, I think of a funny memory and I am pretty sure rebecca knows what I am talking about.

Lauri said...

That's why I said some of you may laugh but whatever it is a funny memory anyway!

Rebecca said...

oh that is what i thought of as soon as i read it and i laughed.. but i didnt want to be the one to bring it up:)

The Smith Clan said...

It was fun to see you over the holidays. Fun to see all of your family too! I do love seeing the beautiful lights on Temple Square. I have not been there for several years. We see the Arizonia Temple lights now. But missed those too this year. Thanks for sharing!

Our Family