Monday, January 12, 2009

As we begin a new year of scripture study I am reminded of how much I love the Doctrine and Covenants. I love the Book of Mormon and am grateful to have finished reading it once again, but I truly love reading the Doctrine and Covenants. I love to try and visualize where my family would have been during the times that many of these revelations were received and so forth, just like I like to do when I visit church history sites.
When I was little we moved from the San Luis Valley and a fairly "protected" environment and moved to Arvada. One of the first things that we studied in Social Studies was the migration of people throughout the United States. I choose to do the "Mormon Migration" and started to feel the first negative reactions to me and to "Mormon's. " My dad gave me some wise counsel as I tried to understand why people felt the way the did. He told me that I couldn't rely on my family to teach people about the church, that I had to find out for myself if the church was true and that the Prophet Joseph Smith was a true Prophet. I set about to do so and at a very young age I gained my testimony of the Prophet. As a freshman at BYU that testimony was strengthened as well as my testimony of the Book Of Mormon. I have always loved the Doctrine and Covenants and it's relation to the Prophet. I look forward to studying it in depth again this year.



No comments:

Our Family