Saturday, July 18, 2009

Miracle in May

A few days before we were supposed to go to Kansas for the arrival of Nora, Cydney called and told us that she was having timetable contractions. We had already decided to leave a couple of days earlier than planned but I was really afraid that we would not be there in time for the arrival. We went through Wyoming, Nebraska, Iowa, and Missouri to get to Kansas. FINALLY at 1:00 a.m. we arrived in Overland Park. Much to the dismay of all her contractions had stopped. It was difficult to see her walk around because she was so miserable and all baby. After a few hours of sleep we went and met Ken at his school and had a picnic lunch on the grounds. Charlie had a great time running and running. I kept making Cydney walk and move around hoping that it would send her into labor. To the point that she was frustrated with me. Sorry Cyd!

I know that she will be mad for putting these pictures on but I am only because I can't believe that she was actually walking around at this point and this was two days before she delivered. I was so concerned because she was so swollen and her blood pressure was going up and down. I tried to get her to call her Dr. but she is very stubborn, can't imagine where she got that from.
We went to a local park for a barbecue to walk around a little. Charlie loved running and being outside.

We played games on Memorial Day and waited and watched but still no baby. Later that night she came into our room and told us she had been having contractions for several hours and they were going to go to the hospital to be checked. That was about two in the morning and at seven we finally headed over to the hospital to check on them. A little while later her Dr. came and broke her water trying to get things to progress. Her labor progressed pretty well and she was trying to go on without medication.
The wait was pretty difficult, who wants to see their children go through such pain. My mom always used to say "If I could take the pain away I would." I understand that so well!
The Dr.s and nurses were getting concerned because Cyd was getting so tired and seemed to plateau. After sometime she finally agreed to have an epidural and things moved along very quickly. At 5:22 p.m. Nora finally entered the world.
Yep at 10 lbs. 7 oz.!

When Ken came down the hallway to get us he wouldn't tell us how much she weighed because they both wanted to see our reaction when we heard the birth weight. Like I said before she was all baby. I was so relieved for her to have it all over for her.
The happy little family.

I told Cydney that one of the blessings after child birth is the wonderful time together and that we are blessed to forget the ordeal when you have that little one in our arms. Thank goodness many of us would stop at one if we didn't.
What a sweetheart!

Grandpa got her first but notice the phone in his hand as all of the phone calls began to start. Everyone was so anxious to hear the news and that all was ok.
My turn, she has quite a little scream.
Reb's turn, she was quite the "proud" aunt. (not meant in a bad way of course.)
Just listen to that scream that disappeared so very quickly!

I just love being a Grandma, and especially a mom!

No comments:

Our Family