Friday, January 14, 2011

The terrible, horrible, bad, good, day

A dear friend of mine lost her husband after a battle with cancer. It hit me pretty hard because it was pretty close, and close in age. On this day I helped prepare the meal for the luncheon after the funeral. I started early so that they turkey would be done and I could get several batches of funeral potatoes in the oven and make it to the funeral.


While I was working on this I realized I was short on sour cream and had to run to the store to finish up the potatoes. When I came into the house I expected to smell the turkey---no smell. I had turned the wrong oven on. Panic set in and I turned the convection oven on to rush to get it done. The potatoes were taking longer than I had anticipated and I wasn't ready at the time the funeral was supposed to start.


Since I obviously wasn't going to make it to the funeral I opted to finish the meal and to work on the choke load of ironing I was waiting to do. Some of it was Jessica's and I was trying to help her since she was feeling so crumby with her pregnancy. What I hadn't realized was how behind I was on my own laundry so it was a little overwhelming as I got started. Just a few minutes into the process I burned my hand quite badly. It seemed that no matter what I tried to do for others I couldn't seem to get any of it right.
I was very nervous about the turkey not being done in time, as the hour to have it there approached I nervously looked at the bird and checked the internal temperature. It was perfect. Thank goodness. I snuck the food into the kitchen at the church because I looked like a
wreck.
After several hours of ironing and the stress of the morning I was relieved to have things done. I managed to make potatoes for Rebecca and I and some to send to Jessica when I dropped the clothing off to Dave to take home.
A day I was trying to do a lot for a lot of people turned from a nightmare into a pretty good day after all. Once I saw past the stress I saw the success.


No comments:

Our Family