Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Punchbowl

Punchbowl National Cemetery caught my attention many years ago as a scene from Hawaii Five O. On my first trip to Honolulu I saw the top of the monument from our hotel room and knew I wanted to find out how to get there. After being there and falling in love with the history of it and the history that I have learned from it we have taken each of our kids who have been there to see it. From the rim of the old volcano there is a lookout that takes in the beautiful panorama of the city and the ocean. I later learned that Kerry's great uncle was buried there. He had been killed in World War II and was buried there with all of the other men who were killed at Wake Island as civilians with him. We finally looked his grave site up at the registry and set about to find it.

It took us quite awhile but we finally located it.
Kerry even took time to pull some of the weeds growing by the marker.
These men were over taken by the Japanese and didn't even stand a chance. They aren't even sure who really is in the grave it is more of just a marker, it is a sobering experience to say the least.. I can't believe how many times we had been by this marker and didn't realize what it was.
Punchbowl and Pearl Harbor are still part of the Island that I love most.



No comments:

Our Family