Thursday, November 24, 2011

Tradition---memories of Thanksgiving

On Thanksgiving I got up and jumped in the shower before the troops started to come for the day. I was going through the check list in my mind to make sure everything was on track. As I started to think of the different foods we were making I began to remember where we were first introduced to specific foods and how they came to be a part of our "tradition."


Turkey- on every families table we know.. (This year we did two-- a regular turkey and a second with herbs from our garden. Yum)


Dressing- Kerry's dad made the dressing for our family (of course the time he added egg nog by mistake was quite memorable and something we still laugh about today.)


Mashed potatoes and gravy- a general basic and thankfully I learned about gravy from my mom.


Yams or yums- as my family calls them. I think these were a product of Kerry's dad again but I do know that we have embraced them as ours over the years.


Cinnamon apples- this doesn't grace our table often but it is something that my sister-in-law, Elaine, would bring to the table when we gathered as a Smith family. No one in the family likes it but me so I don't make them often. I love the taste and the smell of them as they cook.


Pumpkin roll- most of our family really don't care for pumpkin pie but put pumpkin roll on the table and it goes quickly.


Cranberry sauce-The canned kind was what I grew up with but Kerry's dad always made his with cranberries, orange juice, and orange rind, with sugar.


While thinking about all of these delightful goodies and family traditions I began singing in my mind the song from Fiddler on the Roof-Tradition. It led me to think of a scene where he is singing about his girls and it shows them close up and then far away and suddenly I was overwhelmed with emotion. As I have listened to different videos trying to find this particular video the words to "Sunrise Sunset" have been stuck in my mind.





Is this the little girl I carried?

Is this the little boy at play?

I don't remember growing older.

When did they?


When did she get to be a beauty?

When did he grow to be this tall?

Wasn't it yesterday when

They were small?


Sunrise, sunset.

Sunrise, sunset.

Swiftly flow the days

Seedlings turn overnight to sunflowers,

Blossoming even as we gaze.


Sunrise, sunset.

Sunrise, sunset.

Swiftly fly the years

One season following another,

Laden with happiness and tears.


What words of wisdom can I give them?

How can I help to ease their way?

Now, they must learn from one another,

Day by day.


They look so natural together,

Just like two newlyweds should be.

Is there a canopy in store for me?


Sunrise, sunset.

Sunrise, sunset.

Swiftly flow the days.

Seedlings turn overnight to sunflowers,

Blossoming even as we gaze.


Sunrise, sunset.

Sunrise, sunset.

Swiftly fly the years.

One season following another,

Laden with happiness and tears.



I know some of my girls will laugh at the mention of Fiddler on the Roof because I was goofing around doing the "If I were a Rich Man" dance with the movie, not realizing they were watching me years ago. But now that they are older and more mature (most of the time!) I hope they will read the words and know what they mean to me.

2 comments:

Nichole Barney said...

I love holidays and getting together so fun! I love that you made the cinnamon apples. I ate one for my mom this year. She loves them! Thanks again for all your help with those pictures!

Cydney Jensen said...

I can't even read the words to the song without crying. Like first sentence can't get past it...

Our Family