Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Disbelief

While at dinner last night with Kerry these two young girls were talking very loudly and one of them said "it isn't 1945 anymore, the war is over why don't people just get over it." I never wanted to get up and shake someone so badly. Since it is the anniversary of Pearl Harbor there have been many articles in the paper about the few veterans of WWII that survive and how they worry that they will be a forgotten generation...I give thanks for them and all veterans since who sacrifice for us. Hopefully we won't just get over it! (This was a post on Facebook earlier today. Following are some of the responses. They touched me.)


Gayle Rogers Lewis Thank you Lauri, I feel that our very young adults don't get it. They have had it pretty easy. No WWII, No Korea, No Vietnam and their understanding of Iraq doesn't exist because it doesn't affect them directly. I worry about their reaction to many things.
8 hours ago · LikeUnlike


Janine Hiatt Mashburn Wow...I have no words...
8 hours ago · LikeUnlike


Kerry Stevenson The two great wars were globally tragic, but they created several generations of men and women for whom sacrifice was/is sacred. That is what is missing. A sense of purpose and shared sacrifice that makes service a sacred duty!
7 hours ago · LikeUnlike · 1


Sharon Rogers Rankin This makes me so sad. Just another example of how some of the young people in this country think it's all about them. I know I won't forget all of those that sacrificed for us and I have done as much as I can to make sure my girls won't forget. My husband always says, "Not that I want another war, but it is the best thing that could happen to this country to make us come together and care about our country and our flag again." There is so little patriotism anymore.
6 hours ago · LikeUnlike


Anne Tyson Gessel That makes me so angry! They need to talk to someone who lived through it! I know I didn't but my grandpa was a POW during that war and I will forever be grateful and never forget the past, present and future military servicemen and women! Let us please remember what happened on that horrible day and hope that history doesn't repeat itself.
3 hours ago · UnlikeLike · 1


Ken Jensen Its pretty sad. I can't say that I understand war any better than they do, but I do value life and value all the freedoms that I enjoy. Moreover I understand that the freedoms I enjoy were purchased with blood. I hope that I never under value that sacrifice. God Bless America and every soldier who has fought for it!
2 hours ago · UnlikeLike · 1


Brian Boyd Maybe they can go Occupy something.
about an hour ago · LikeUnlike


Kerry Stevenson I can think of several things they could go Occupy.
about an hour ago · LikeUnlike


Rachel Lunt That is horrible. Around 6% of the world population lost their lives in WWII. My kids had to write about what they value to graduate from nova (dare). One read his paper today and said he values and is thankful for those that serve their countr.
37 minutes ago · LikeUnlike


Rachel Lunt Country and have given their lives. He got very emotional and is so proud of his country. This from an 11 year old. I only hope it lasts. We should have that pride for our country and reverence for those that serve or served it!
36 minutes ago · UnlikeLike · 1

No comments:

Our Family