Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Pearl Harbor 2011

This man is one of my greatest hero's and while he was not part of Pearl Harbor 70 years ago today, he was certainly impacted by it. He like so many became a part of the forces to join and battle for our freedom. This isn't his Marine uniform of which he looked so handsome in but a time period photo. He spoke very little of his experiences in the war but I do know that he fought two times in the Pacific the last being on Okinawa.

My experiences here on Oahu have taught me a great deal about WWII and I am so grateful for that. I have learned to love to go to Pearl Harbor and show my respect, the movie never fails to teach me something or leave me in awe of that day. Today's 70th Memorial Anniversary is attended by 13 surviving Arizona members and they will dis ban the Society to keep them a survivors group because they are so old and feeble. Now they ask "Never forget", I will never forget them or any other troops who fight for our nation.
USS Arizona under attack

USS Arizona's fall into the harbor.

The newspapers headlines from that time.

Today's Star Advertiser. " Never Forget!"



The USS Arizona Memorial


My hero, my friend, my dad, Milton Ralph Smith.


(I had hoped to go to the ceremony this morning but because tickets were so limited and I would have to be there by 4:00 am to have a "chance" for public seating. I have been able to watch it live, I am glad that there are so many in attendance and can at least see the ceremony.)


No comments:

Our Family