Saturday, September 27, 2008

I HATE TRAFFIC-Honolulu at it's best?

No matter where I go I hate traffic but most places try to deal with it better! This was on the way to our hotel after Kerry picked me up at the airport at 5:00 in the evening. Further back on the other side it was bumper to bumper six lanes across.
Notice the speed limit sign, more than that notice the minimum speed sign!

Notice how fast we were going for miles! (less than 10 miles an hour!)
Like I said for miles!

So there are plans out there to make transportation better. When I learned that one was to put lanes above the current freeway that are directional I just about died. I am not an engineer but even I know that you have to reinforce and modify a current structure to support something like that. It wasn't designed to be built on. And then where would all of the ramps go that get you up there or off, you would have to take up current lanes to make that change and face it there isn't room. Nor is there room on the side streets to take up the load of traffic coming off of those lanes. Not to mention that it would be so high in the air in order to go over the existing overpasses it would be crazy. As far as more buses go they weren't moving any faster than we were, more would only make it slower. The people who work as part of the tourist trade here need a good system to get to and from work. I have seen fights to stop rail systems coming into local areas before, I have also experienced the rail system in Salt Lake City, Portland, and Washington D.C. and they are wonderful. Not like the subways you see in movies that are dark and dirty. They are fast, efficient, clean, and QUIET. Honolulu would be so smart to make this one happen here. And I have not been brainwashed by my husband who is an engineer, I have experienced it myself. Ok, the pictures talk for themselves and I will get off of the subject now.
After about 45 minutes at 10 mph we finally got to the hotel.

1 comment:

Cydney Jensen said...

I don't know why, but those pictures really remind me of Ukraine. Specifically the first and second ones.

Our Family