Thursday, September 4, 2008

Visiting Kansas City and parts of Missouri

We were able to see Cyd, Ken and Charlie for a week in Kansas City. We were able to go to some of the Church Sites and some of the local places that they enjoy. Most of all it was just great to be with them and see where they live and what life is like there for them.

Our first stop on the Church History tour was to Independence Missouri to the Temple Site and Visitor's Center. Of course we saw the Temple from the Community of Christ Church (below) across the street. It's hard to imagine it as it was because it is so built up around the area.
Our next stop to was to the Liberty Jail, which is also built up around and would be easy to miss if it wasn't for historical markers. I had been there 30 years ago and it was pretty much as I remember it. I was touched by the feeling there. Part of me wanted to get on the floor which is the original floor just to be where he was, of course I didn't but it made me think.
Originally built as an ice house and turned to a jail the insulation made it impossible to escape and impossible to keep warm, to think of the conditions that existed for those men. And yet what was gleaned from that time is also amazing.
Next stop Far West Missouri. I was also there 30 years ago but I remember it so differently. It was hard to imagine that there were over 5ooo people living there at one time before they were driven out of the area. At one point I tried to visualize in my mind what it would have been like and where my family would have lived. Ken thought I had my head stuck in the fence the way I was standing and looking at the valley.
This is the temple site. With the cornerstone below.
When we were there years ago the road to Haun's Mill was muddy and we were not able to get the bus out there. This time I really wanted to go there. All that remains is a memorial stone so it was as Cyd says it "a field" I would like to have wandered through and spent some quiet time but we were on limited time so maybe next time. I just get to sentimental at times.

It is difficult to see but there were frogs all over at Haun's Mill by the stream bed. Everywhere you stepped tons of frogs hopped away and we thought the boys would have loved it. This picture was for them but it is like Where In the World is the frog. Good luck.

The last stop for the day was Adam-Ondi-Ahman. It took me awhile but it became much more familiar as I walked around. I had forgotten how beautiful the area is. I was also surprised to see how much the area is being farmed.

Back at the apartment we found that the entire family had come from the Cabin to visit. Imagine all of Jessica's and Dave's family, Nat and Dave, Rachel and Cameron, Rebecca, and Rosemarie and Patti.
Charlie loved getting to know everyone!
One of the great BBQ places that Ken and Cyd have discovered there in Kansas City is called Oklahoma Joes, it was so good. Enough that we bought some of the rub and sauce to get ready for the Rib throw down we keep talking about at home.

While Kerry and Ken were playing video games we had the door open to cool the apartment down a little bit. As the afternoon wore down the sky got darker and darker as a storm approached. It was an eerie site and the sky actually had a greenish color, the picture doesn't do it justice. This picture was taken at about four in the afternoon. When it started to rain in poured buckets and buckets but it smelled so good!
Before we left we had Ken take us to his school and show us around. Because it was between semesters most everything was locked up but he was able to show us around a little bit.
We played games and relaxed our last day there. Charlie was in the middle of the coffee table where she got quite comfortable. It was difficult to leave them when it was time to return home. They are such a cute couple and are doing so well in their Kansas City Home. We will be glad to hopefully have them closer one day because we miss them so much. It was great to be with them.

4 comments:

Cydney Jensen said...

Well we miss you guys more now than we did before you came! Thanks for coming! We had lots of fun!

Wendy Evans said...

Looks so beautiful there. I would love to go and see the Historical Sites. I think we will try when our kids get older and can remember. Fun Times. Exciting news about the camera. I had to get a new one as well, I can't wait until it's here. Mine bit the dust!! Too much strain now that I am obsessed!

Nichole Barney said...

What a great trip! I just gave a lesson in relief society about establishing zion. I read a lot about the saints in Missouri. I bet it was neat to see it!

Lauri said...

I gave the same lesson before I left and I was glad that it gave me a point of reference. Plus looking up some family histories gave me a little different look at things.

Our Family